Most people nowadays try to live within their means, if you are anything like us then it’s the weekends that we seem to spend most of our extra money. If we could find ways to not spend that money each weekend then it could be put towards paying off more bills or maybe getting our savings account a little healthier in case there is ever an emergency.
What we have been trying is a no-spend weekend at least twice a month. What is a no-spend weekend? It’s exactly what it sounds like, a weekend where you spend no money. We all know that this can be hard but with a little imagination you can create some fantastic family memories without breaking the bank.
Here are 25 great free family activities to help fill your weekend and make some great memories.
1. Go for a bike ride: There are many great trails to use in most cities and towns, go and check out some new areas.
2. Have a picnic in the park: Go have a picnic with the family, bring a football or your baseball gloves and make it a fun family outing.
3. Go backyard camping or build an indoor fort: Set the tent up in the backyard or move some furniture around, grab some blankets and build yourself a fort and have a campout.
4. Volunteer: There are always places that need volunteers, get out and give back to your community.
5. Go on an outdoor scavenger hunt: Pick items that can easily be found in your area, could be pinecones, 4 leaf clover, you get the idea.
6. Have a movie night: make some popcorn and grab some of those movies that you haven’t seen in a while.
7. Host a potluck dinner party: You get to spend time with your friends or family and get to savour lots of different foods.
8. Go hiking: There are lots of recreation areas available in most provinces and states, go and do a small hike, then build up to bigger ones in the future. Nothing is better for mental and physical health then a walk in the woods.
9. Do a family lip sync contest: Even if you have a horrible voice like me you can always do lip sync, you can even break out the old air guitar that you haven’t played in a while.
10. Visit your local library: Besides getting books, libraries are a great source to get movies, ones you can use on your family movie night.
11. Do a Family meal: get each member of your family to pick and make one thing and sit down at the dinner table and have a family night.
12. Take photos: Grab your camera and make some memories that will last forever.
13. Family game night: Grab some of those old board games or a deck of cards.
14. Paper airplane contest: See who can make the best paper airplane, or who’s can go the furthest.
15. Plan your next family vacation or staycation: Plan ahead and you’ll be ready for when it’s time for holidays, you’ll also find that you can save quite a bit of money if you plan ahead.
16. Go for a walk: Walking is great for mental health, heck take Fido with you too, he’ll really enjoy it.
17. Family craft day: Paint, draw or find some easy crafts, we all have craft supplies hanging around the house, check out Pinterest for some great ideas.
18. Do yard work: Ya I know, not really fun but if you spend a weekend getting it all done it saves you lots of time for the rest of the year.
19. Go Fishing: Not all of us like to fish, but I’ve never known a kid who didn’t want to try out fishing.
20. Create an obstacle course in your backyard: Make fun and easy, see who can get through fastest but make it fair for the little ones.
21. Invite friends over for a coffee: We never seem to have enough time with our friends. Why not set up a coffee date with them.
22. Read: You can never get enough reading time in!!
23. Declutter your home: Yes, not really another fun one but you’d be amazed how good you feel about getting rid of all those things that are just taking up space.
24. Do a puzzle: If you have any puzzles kicking around get one out, nothing takes up a huge amount of time than doing a puzzle.
25. Play video games: do something that your kids are probably going to do anyway. If you can’t beat em, join em.
Even if you are trying to stick to a budget doesn’t mean that you can’t have some fun. Try using things in your house to fill your no spend weekend or check online to see what is free in your neighbourhood this weekend.
Follow us on:
We are always looking for guest writers. If you have a story about minimalism or travel that you would like to get out there then please feel free to contact us.
Join our mailing list to know when our next post comes out.
Join us for our journeys into minimalism, health and diet as well as our travel series.
Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links, meaning that at no cost to you, I will earn commission if you click through and make a purchase.